In 2012, Technomic and HAVI Global Solutions conducted the first-of-its-kind comprehensive assessment of the “state of the supply chain” at major restaurant chains. In 2013, Technomic and HGS conducted a second study, thus launching a yearly benchmark of the State of the Foodservice Supply Chain.
The objectives of this study are:
- Understanding major restaurant chains’ supply chain capabilities in the areas of demand and supply planning, execution, data management and analytics.
- Comparing restaurant chains’ supply chain organizations, capabilities, and supply and distribution networks.
- Determining supply chain organizations’ current strategic priorities and how these may be evolving in the future.
- Establishing critical pain points / challenges, and discovering how chains are addressing them.
- Identifying best practices in restaurant supply chain management.
For the second annual study, HGS and Technomic conducted a quantitative online survey to understand more about chains’ supply chain capabilities, in contrast to the qualitative interview‐based assessment used in 2012. The study’s leaders asked supply chain executives a series of self‐assessment questions about supply chain capabilities that allowed for measurement of each chain’s capabilities along core dimensions.
Leveraging the results of the 2012 and 2013 study, its deep industry knowledge and experience managing some of the world’s largest quick service restaurant (QSR) supply chains, HGS, with Technomic, developed the only supply chain maturity model focused exclusively on the foodservice industry, the HAVI Global Solutions Foodservice Supply Chain Maturity Model.
The 2013 State of the Foodservice Supply Chain study shows clearly that the journey to a more sophisticated supply chain organization never ends. While some chains continue to be hampered by “siloed” supply chain organizations, others are well on the way toward supply chain collaboration and shared value creation, yet actively engaged in multiple projects to further streamline processes and systems to contribute even greater value to their companies.
- 2013 State of the Foodservice Supply Chain Executive Summary
- 2013 State of the Foodservice Supply Chain Complete Report (by request ONLY)
- HGS Whitepaper: HGS Foodservice Supply Chain Maturity Model
We conducted this study in order to understand how restaurant chains are managing their supply chain today. What they are doing well and where they are challenged. The study solicited perspectives from supply chain executives about their organization, business goals and challenges.
The study found that most restaurant chains are early in their supply chain evolution and are utilizing technology and data to evolve their supply chain maturity. The results identify the capabilities of high-performing supply chains and how restaurant chains are addressing their key challenges.
- 2012 State of the Restaurant Supply Chain Executive Summary
- The Technomic Viewpoint: Lessons Learned from Supply Chain Leaders
- National Restaurant Association Executive Study Group Presentation: State of the Restaurant Supply Chain
For more information about the State of the Foodservice Supply Chain study or the HAVI Global Solutions Foodservice Supply Chain Maturity Model, please contact us at email@example.com